Friday, March 14, 2014

You lost the box of relics??

Come, relive a moment of my life with me.  This goes all the way back to 7 minutes ago.

...

After finishing a late dinner I realized that it was now time to locate the box of relics that was no longer where I last place it.  I knew the time had come because I was full.  When I feel full that means it's time to do something else besides eating.  So, I went searching for the misplaced, irreplaceable, invaluable box of sacred relics.

I went to the only place that made sense - the office downstairs.  That's where the parish business happens.  That's where the computer is. I like to call that room "The Computer Room.  I entered said Computer Room.  Not finding the box of relics I turned to leave through the open door and through the doorway walked the man who had given me charge of the box of Relics; my superior, Fr. Florian.

Hey, Father, you seen the box of relics?

...

"You lost the box of relics??!"

(A simply "no" would have worked, too.)

Thinking he was playing a trick on me I laughed.  But this was no joking matter. A box of relics was missing.  Luckily, the French seminarian in the computer room (he happened to be on the computer when I walked in searching for the box of relics) said to Fr. Florian - in French - "The box of relics? I put it in your room!"

Turning to Father I should have said, "You stole the box of relics??!"

But I think I just laughed at the irony.  We both laughed.  It was funny.  But I wish I would have said "You stole the box of relics??!" ... That would have been more funny.

I went up to Father's room and, behold, the box of relics!


That's the outside of the box of relics.  It's not as exciting as the inside of the box of relics.


Now that's cool.


The blue booklets on the top corners of the above picture are certificates of authentication from various ecclesiastical authorities.  


That's one of the certificates up close.  It's all in latin and it's from the year MDCCCLXXV.  Maybe that means something to you.  I don't know the roman numerals that go above the current Superbowl number.  


The certificate is authenticating as relics worthy of veneration those of the Holy Apostles.


There's two sets of relics of the 12 Apostles.

"That's way cool, Matt!"

I know faithful blog reader... I know.

I get to catologue all of these.  What a gift, huh?  I just wanted to share it with you.

(Just don't lose it.)

_____________________

Invoking the intercession of the Saints in Heaven is asking for the prayers of a friend who you know is close to God (in fact, the Saints see Him face to face - you can't get any closer than that!)  They want to help us.  They want us to seek intercession.  God does, too. There are many graces they can obtain for us if we but ask.  They will bring our petitions before the Lord.  They are our elder brothers and sisters in Christ.  May the Saints be as real in your life as your best friends on earth are.  Let us realize that "God is not the God of the dead but of the living" as Jesus said.  The God of Abraham, the God of Jacob, and the God of Isaac is the same as the God and Father of Jesus Christ.  The God of St. Peter, of St. Paul, of St. Benedict, of St. Francis, of St. Dominic, of St. Rose, of St. Therese, of St. Padre Pio... He is the same God of the soon to be canonized Pope John Paull II (and Pope John XXIII) and He is also my God, and your God, your friend's God and anyone else who you might ask to pray for you.  There is only one God and the Saints show us how to live like the One Who reveals this one God.  The Saints show us Jesus and, through their intercession, the Saints bring us to Jesus.

May the Saints bring you (and all of your needs) to Jesus, too.

"...the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders (Saints in Heaven) fell down in the Lamb's presence.  Each bore a harp and they had golden bowls full of incense, the prayers of the Saints (on earth.") - Revelation 5:8

-MM


No comments:

Post a Comment