Wednesday, February 12, 2014

"I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane" and Spiritual Works of Mercy


I'm going back to France tonight but before I do I want to ask for your prayers for someone someone very dear to me.  My friend is very sick and suffers a lot from day to day and I really want her to feel God's love and His presence.  

I consider praying for others to be perhaps one of the highest acts of love which we can perform.  This is because in praying for someone we offer a spiritual "work of mercy" by interceding for them before God.  We seek to bring that person closer to God through our prayer.  We intend for the people we pray for to have precisely what they need which is, at the end of the day, God's Will to be accomplished in their lives.  When we love someone we want what is best for them and, through prayer, we ask God to give them His best graces, to bring about His will in their lives.  Sometimes His Will is to draw someone very close to Him  through suffering. It is a high paradox that the choicest graces in this life amount to and bring about great union with Christ on the Cross.  The Cross is the greatest gift which we can be given.


May the gift of the Holy Spirit's consolation also be given.

-MM

No comments:

Post a Comment